The North Carolina Special Emphasis Programs (SEPs) are part of the NC OSH Division's five year strategic management plan for which its two principal goals are: 1) to reduce the state's workplace fatality rate by at least 2%; and 2) to reduce the state's non-fatal injury and illness rate by at least 5%. For each SEP that applies to a specific industrial sector, similar goals for reducing the fatality rate and/or non-fatal injury and illness rate are applied.
What are the goals of the logging and arboriculture special emphasis program?
Reduce workplace fatalities
Reduce workplace injury and illness rates
What industries are covered by this SEP?
NAICS 11331 - logging
NAICS 56173 - landscaping services
What are the principal hazard categories on which this SEP is focused?
The majority of fatalities and injuries that occur in logging and arboriculture can be attributed to the following categories of events:
Falls from elevations (see Fall Protection)
Electrocutions (see Electrical Safety)
In addition, employees in one or both industry groups may be exposed to:
What regulations apply to this SEP?
OSH has adopted the following regulations that govern the requirements for protection against the hazards associated with logging operations and arboriculture. Note: Please also check the standards information and activity webpage to see if there has been any recent or upcoming regulatory activity on this topic.
- 29 CFR 1910.67 - vehicle-mounted elevating and rotating work platforms
- 29 CFR 1910 Subpart I - personal protective equipment
- 29 CFR 1910.243 - guarding of portable powered tools
- 29 CFR 1910.266 - logging operations
- 29 CFR 1910.269 - electric power generation, transmission and distribution
- 29 CFR 1910.1200 - hazard communication
General Duty Clause
- NCGS 95-129(1) - General Duty Clause
Other Applicable Standards
The Which OSHA Standards Apply webpage can also help identify other standards that may be applicable to your worksite.
Where can I learn more about this SEP?
- Operational Procedure Notice: OPN 088, Special Emphasis Program for Logging and Arboriculture, establishes a special emphasis program to focus on the hazards associated with logging operations in an effort to reduce the number of fatalities and injuries in this industry.
- Compliance Memo: Memo TC 1, Enforcement Inspection Guidance for Tree Care and Tree Removal Operations, provides guidance on the application of general industry standards to tree care and tree removal operations.
- Compliance Memo: Memo TC 2, Davey Tree Court Ruling contains court decisions for cases between Davey Tree and OSHA that can be used as guidance in determining the application of the logging standard in tasks involving tree felling and line clearing work
- Operational Procedure Notice: OPN 147, Logging Operations, Inspection Procedures and Interpretive Guidance, establishes enforcement guidance for inspections of work places where logging operations are, or may be, in progress.
A-Z Safety and Health Topics