29 CFR Part 1915 - Shipyard Employment Standards
The regulations of part 29 CFR 1915 apply to shipyard employment which includes all ship repairing, shipbuilding and shipbreaking employments and related employments. Under the scope and application, it states that the shipyard employment standards do not apply to matters under the control of the United States Coast Guard including, but not restricted to, the master, ship's officer, crew members, design, construction and maintenance of the vessel, its gear and equipment; to matters within the regulatory authority of the United States Coast Guard to safeguard vessels, harbors, ports and waterfront facilities or to matters within the regulatory authority of the United States Coast Guard with respect to lights, warning devices, safety equipment and other matters relating to the promotion of safety of lives and property.
To assist the employer in identifying which shipyard employment standards apply to them, questions regarding the subparts and subsequent standards are provided to help the employer identify which are applicable to them. In addition, basic content of each subpart will be explained, and in some cases, definitions will be provided to assist the employer in understanding which subparts and standards apply to their workplace. To start this process, please click on each subpart below.
- Subpart A - General Provisions
- Subpart B - Confined and Enclosed Spaces and Other Dangerous Atmospheres in Shipyard Employment
- Subpart C - Surface Preparation and Preservation
- Subpart D - Welding, Cutting and Heating
- Subpart E - Scaffolds, Ladders and Other Working Surfaces
- Subpart F - General Working Conditions
- Subpart G - Gear and Equipment for Rigging and Materials Handling
- Subpart H - Tools and Related Equipment
- Subpart I - Personal Protective Equipment
- Subpart J - Ship's Machinery and Piping Systems
- Subpart K - Portable, Unfired Pressure Vessels, Drums and Containers, Other Than Ship's Equipment
- Subpart L - Electrical Machinery
- Subpart P - Fire Protection in Shipyard Employment
- Subpart Z - Toxic and Hazardous Substances
- General Duty Clause
- Additional Assistance for Shipyard Employment
- Special Emphasis Programs
Please Note: Subparts M - O and Q - Y are reserved.