A national campaign to promote workplace safety and health has been declared in North Carolina for the week of Aug. 9–15 by Gov. Roy Cooper and in conjunction with NCDOL, the state’s lead agency for workplace safety and health. The federal “Safe + Sound” campaign, promoted each August, encourages businesses to develop a comprehensive safety and health program to ultimately eliminate hazards and prevent injuries, illnesses and fatalities in the workplace.
“We are pleased that Gov. Cooper declared Aug. 9–15 as ‘Safe + Sound’ Week in North Carolina,” Labor Commissioner Josh Dobson said. “This initiative provides an opportunity for employers to get involved and jumpstart their safety and health programs. We hope to see increased participation throughout the state in 2021.”
Businesses can register for the program by visiting the OSHA website. Last year, more than 3,400 businesses across the country participated to help raise awareness. North Carolina currently has 44 businesses registered for the 2021 campaign.
“This upcoming ‘Safe + Sound’ Week is a great way for all North Carolina employers to highlight the importance that they place on their employee safety and health programs,” said Kevin Beauregard, director of the NCDOL Occupational Safety and Health Division. “Employers that make concerted efforts to ensure their employees feel safe, healthful and fulfilled in the workplace tend to see a great return on that investment. In fact, probably the soundest investment an employer can make is taking care of their employees since they often determine whether or not a business is successful.”
The OSH Division has developed many tools and resources that are available for employers and employees on the NCDOL website including important guidance information associated with COVID-19 prevention measures that should be implemented.
If your organization is participating this year, be sure to use #SafeAndSoundAtWork on social media. For more information on the campaign, visit OSHA’s website.