The Building Star Program is designed to recognize construction industry leaders in occupational safety and health that are successfully protecting employees from death, injury, and illness by implementing comprehensive and effective safety and health programs and management systems. This program provides an opportunity for the construction industry to promote and assist in creating more construction work places that are free of accidents and illnesses.
Note: The Building Star Program is created solely for the construction industry. It recognizes construction worksites and/or companies (including general contractors and subcontractors) that have Carolina Star quality safety and health programs but require demonstration of approaches and procedures that differ from current Carolina Star requirements.
The term for participation in an approved Building Star Program is open-ended so long as the participating worksite continues to maintain its excellent safety and health management systems as evidenced by a favorable onsite evaluation by the Star Program evaluation team within 36 months of the initial onsite Star evaluation, and every 60 months thereafter. In addition, the worksite is required to submit the required Star Annual Report (“SAR”), which includes annual Total Recordable Case (TRC) rate and Days Away, Restricted or Transferred (DART) rate data, safety and health management system evaluation.
Building Star participants are proactive and partner with the N.C. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Division in an effort to prevent fatalities, injuries, and illnesses through a system focused on:
- Management commitment and leadership
- Employee involvement and participation
- Hazard identification and evaluation
- Hazard prevention and control
- Safety and health training
Benefits of being a Building Star Worksite
- Improved employee motivation to work safely, leading to better quality and productivity.
- Reduced workers’ compensation costs.
- Recognition in the community.
- Improved safety and health management systems and performance.
- Star participant sites generally experience from 60 percent to 80 percent fewer lost workday injuries than would be expected of an “average” site of the same size in their industries.
If you are interested in Building Star, please contact LaMont Smith, Carolina Star's recognition program manager, or call 919-707-7852 for more information.