Press Releases

A national campaign to promote workplace safety and health has been declared in North Carolina for the week of Aug. 10–16 by Gov. Roy Cooper and in conjunction with NCDOL, the state’s lead agency for workplace safety and health. The federal “Safe + Sound” campaign, promoted each August, encourages every business to develop a safety and health program to ultimately eliminate hazards and prevent injuries, illnesses and fatalities in the workplace.  

Falls caused the largest number of work-related fatal incidents in the Tar Heel state in 2019, based on preliminary information released today by the N.C. Department of Labor. Falls accounted for 17 of the 53 fatal incidents that fell within the NCDOL, Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Division’s jurisdictional authority. Struck-by incidents followed closely, accounting for 15 of the 53 fatal workplace deaths last year.

After handling multiple reports of companies using scare tactics or threatening language about fines to sell labor law posters to employers, the N.C. Department of Labor warns businesses across the state to be vigilant about suspicious correspondence they may receive.

New figures show the nonfatal workplace injury and illness rate for the Tar Heel state’s private industry remains at a historic low for 2018 with a rate at 2.4 cases per 100 full-time workers. The 2018 rate for private industry was not statistically different from 2.3 in 2017, which was the lowest on record. North Carolina is one of 12 states and the District of Columbia with rates below the national rate of 2.8 cases per 100 full-time workers.

“Safe + Sound” is a year-round federal OSHA campaign to encourage all workplaces to implement safety and health programs. While the state of North Carolina has participated in the national campaign for many years, this year, the week of Aug. 12-18 has officially been declared “Safe + Sound Week” in North Carolina

Labor Commissioner Cherie Berry will convene a meeting of the Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Advisory Council on Wednesday, May 8. The meeting—slated to begin at 10 a.m.—will be held in the Old Revenue Building located at 111 Hillsborough St. in Raleigh.

Struck-by incidents and falls caused the largest number of work-related deaths in the Tar Heel state in 2018, based on preliminary information released today by the state Department of Labor. Struck-by incidents accounted for 14 work-related deaths while falls accounted for nine. There were 39 work-related fatalities that fell under the jurisdiction of the NCDOL’s Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Division in 2018, one less than in 2017.

Every year the N.C. Department of Labor receives complaints of poster companies that use scare tactics to sell labor law posters. NCDOL says threats of being fined are bogus and should be ignored.

“Poster companies have been known to charge more than $150 for the posters,” Labor Commissioner Cherie Berry said. “I want the business community to know that the labor law posters are available from NCDOL free of charge.”

New figures show North Carolina’s nonfatal workplace injury and illness rate for private industry declined to a historic low in 2017. The 2017 rate is 2.3 cases per 100 full-time workers, a drop from 2.5 in 2016. The Tar Heel state remains one of the safest states in which to work with a rate below the national rate of 2.8 cases per 100 full-time workers.

The N.C. Department of Labor has deployed occupational safety and health professionals to counties hardest hit by Hurricane Florence to assist the public and businesses during the dangerous cleanup phase. The Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Division has converted to consultative mode in those areas impacted by Hurricane Florence to help prevent injuries and illnesses that often spike during natural disasters.

Subscribe to Press Releases